Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Record and the Recipe...

Occasionally Weekend Farmer Husband and I travel the 19 miles into town to have a cup of coffee in a cafe located in a large bookseller's brick and mortar store.  Okay, well, usually we're needing to do some other errand in town, and we sort of end up there as a breather...

Nonetheless, whilst enjoying time together and away from the farm, I'm often drawn to the magazine racks, and appreciate the opportunity to browse.  I love me the internet, and I can't imagine anybody visits Pinterest more than me, but there's something about flipping pages, studying what you hold in your hand, and in my case, dreaming.

You may have noticed in yesterday's kitchen photo some magazines on the counter by the yummo quiche I wrote about.  It's one of my new fancies.  I've enjoyed these two issues of Where Women Cook beyond just browsing, and purchased these two **pricey** editions. (Love me some birthday money...thanks, mom!)

The recipe I used was developed by Jennifer Lanne ,(and no matter what I do I can't get this link to work...try googling her name for more info), who's been featured in many publications for her art, decorating, and in this case, cooking.  I served this recipe with salsa from last summer, but the Dec./Jan. issue of Where Women Cook has a good lookin' recipe for apple salsa that I'll be trying fer shure.



Cornmeal Cheddar Quiche:
8 Eggs
4 Cups Milk
1 Cup Cornmeal
16 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste.
Beat eggs, then add milk, cornmeal, and cheese.  Pour mixture into a greased pie pan. ( I used my braising pan since this is a really large volume of batter).
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.  It will be firm to the touch.
Top with salsa, chutney, more cheese...or in our case, ketchup!


And, now, drum roll please....


A new Liberty Farm Record has been set!




24 hens occupy the Chicken Condo at the north end of one of our barns.  24 eggs were gathered today.  We are at peak production.  Woo Hoo girls-way to celebrate this sunshiney day!

No comments:

Post a Comment